Whiteman Elementary, PreK-5th grade, located on Whiteman AFB, MO
The Whiteman Air Force Base (WAFB) region is home to high quality school districts and post-secondary education. The military has a large impact on the local school districts.
Local School District Information
Per school representatives, the current* statistics of the largest school districts near WAFB are:
- 1,400 military connected children in attendance; approximately 70%
- Knob Noster Schools also operate Whiteman Elementary (pictured above), a PreK-5th grade building located on Whiteman AFB.
- In 2017, 2019, and 2021 KNPS was the Recipient of the prestigious Pete Taylor Partnership of Excellence Award through the Military Child Education Coalition.
- Additionally, in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 Knob Noster High School was recognized as the #1 rural school in Missouri for College and Career Readiness by US News and World Report.
*Updated July 2023
- 610+ military connected children in attendance; approximately 18% of the PreK-12 enrollment, which is around 3,380 students
^Updated February 2022 ________________________________________________________________________________
Secondary Education Information
The Whiteman Education and Training Center supports long-range Air Force education goals for maintaining a high-quality Force, striving to assist members with enhancing their professional and personal development, recruitment, retention and readiness. On base colleges/universities include: State Fair Community College, Park University, and University of Central Missouri. For more information on the Whiteman Education and Training Center, visit here.
Continuing to strengthen the bond with WAFB:
2023 Month of the Military Child Visit: Missouri First Lady Teresa Parson and Spouse of the 22nd Chief of Staff of the Air Force Sharene Brown visit Knob Noster Public Schools in recognition of Month of the Military Child and the school district's ongoing dedication to serve military families. Knob Noster Public Schools was also named a Missouri Purple Star School District for demonstrating a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation's military.
2022-First Lady Dr. Biden Visits KNPS: First Lady Dr. Jill Biden and U.S. Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona visit Knob Noster Public Schools in recognition of Month of the Military Child and the commitment of the school district to serve military families.
STEM2 (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, & Manufacturing): Knob Noster School's Engineering and Robotics program has emerged as a national leader, winning multiple national-level awards and recognitions for their academic performance. KNHS students recently were called upon by the Wing Commander at Whiteman AFB to design, fit/form/test, and manufacture a safety part that is now operational across the $80 billion fleet of B-2 Stealth Bombers.